Friday, October 9, 2009

The Twitter Conundrum

There's a pizzeria near our house named Durkin's Pizza.  It's the kind of place that makes you want to support it.  Privately owned and operated, and run by one of the more interesting people you'll find anywhere, you can count on 3 things every time you go there:
  • A great atmosphere intentionally constructed to encourage conversation
  • Outstanding food at a good price
  • A warm welcome
The place is run by Michael Durkin, and the guy must spend 100+ hours a week working because he's been there every time I've been there, day or night.

My buddy Dave and I went to Durkin's last night for a late dinner around 9, and as usual Durkin was the lone employee on duty.  The happening restaurant was mostly empty, and the lull in business allowed for a great conversation between Durkin, Dave and Myself.

With U2 coming to town, the conversation eventually turned to the concert and how Bono is one of the only showmen who is worth $200.  Durkin's position... experiences are what make life valuable, and of all the things you can spend $200 on, an experience you will have for a lifetime ranks near the top.

So, what does this have to do with Twitter?

I completely agree with him.  One of my favorite things in the world is losing myself in a moment.  Allowing everything else to fade away and being consumed by the simple blessing of whatever I find myself doing.  In fact, that's my favorite thing about our newest social media phenomenon.  The small everyday experiences that make life enjoyable for us can now have a shadow of themselves conveyed through a blurb, and a photo.  We can share the breakfast with our kids, or the drinks with our friends, and let people into the joy God allows us to find in those moments.

So why is it a conundrum?

While I enjoy being let into other people's lives, for me, tweeting means I'm stepping out of the moment God has given me and reducing it to a glimpse to be consumed by a nameless group.  The gift of knowing that I'm currently living in a uniquely joyful experience is a slippery awareness for me.  As soon as I start thinking about sharing the moment, or as soon as I remove my thoughts from the experience so I can take a picture or type a tweet... the moment leaves me.  It's like the event loses it's uniqueness.  It's my own ADD version of a catch 22. 

All that to say, I think I've become a twitter voyeur.  I enjoy seeing how good God can be in the lives of my friends, and I enjoy living in the moment when I realize how good God is in my life. 

You may see me tweet interesting tid bits, or joke with my friends, or share an interesting quote, but for the most part... twitter feels like reduction of real life.  You'll have to talk to me in person for the good stuff, or if Em convinces me to write one, you might be able to read the blog post.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Good post. I agree! Here's to living in the moment. *clink*