Monday, December 22, 2008

Daddy Issues

What two words convey more heart ache than these?

She's such a small girl, and every where she looks people are telling her how beautful she is, or how cute. She has a need to be seen, like all kids do. More than anything she wants to be validated, loved, and accepted. So she dances, and the boys look. Even that one boy who hasn't told her she's beautful. The one whose compliments mean more than everyone else because he only whispers them at night. So she laughs when she wouldn't, and makes time for things she doesn't care about until he sees her, and finally he does.

Then he presses, and she isn't ready. His disappointment bites at her heart until she gives into him, just like she did with the last boy. She just wants him to be happy with her.

How can a man raise his daughter to embrace a full life, and find her security in Jesus? Do I only need to love her enough? Maybe if I take her on dates she will learn what it means for a guy to treat her well. Maybe if I pray with her every night she will learn to see how God loves her throughout her day. Maybe if I tell her I love her enough she will understand that love comes from somewhere deeper than the skin.

Even if I do all those things will she understand? Will she know they can't see her beauty in a dance? Or will she still have daddy issues?

1 comment:

cv writing service said...

You rock ! I love these posts and always find them so inspiring. Just what I needed today!I want to thank you for sharing this. Reading this post lifted some weight off my shoulders.